Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Works for Me Wednesday


I actually have another Wednesday tip to share although it's definitely not earth-shattering. However, I really hope this may give one or two of you an ah-ha moment and it will definitely help free up space in your pantry.

With my carb-loving toddlers, I find that my cupboards are full of half-eaten, half-empty boxes of crackers, pretzels, cereal and grahams. I went out and bought a couple of packs of raisins (some yogurt covered) or you could add non-carb things like small M&Ms or dried fruit.


I dumped all of my open boxes of cereals, grahams, crackers and snacks into an oversize, plastic zipper bag along with my raisins and shook it all around. Voila! Mommy's super, extra-special trail mix. My babies love this mix as it is always changing (depending upon what I have on hand) and they can pick out what interests them one at a time when I dole this out to them in small snack-size baggies or cups. It's especially great on long trips when you need a snack and you don't want to bring a ton of boxes or bags. Just bring along one BIG bag of trail mix!




Now that I made more space in my cupboards, I can put the rest of my groceries away.

On the path...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this idea! We did this for my Girl Scout troop, which in GS this trail mix is also known as GORP. :)

Anonymous said...

Like Jennifer, I immediately thought of GORP, too! That was our first snack for our brownie troop this year. They loved it!

You could also put in smaller zip lock bags for a quick snack on the go.

Great tip!

Rachel@just another day in paradise said...

Um, why didn't I think of that? I have all those leftover, half-empty packages on my counter and in the pantry. . .so thanks so much. I will thank you when I can see the counter top and pantry again!

Frugal Finds said...

great idea!!!

Erin K. said...

Great idea! Thanks for sharing it!

Sisters Savings said...

This is a great idea. I think I am gonna go do that right now!!

flowerpot said...

You are so smart!

Ally said...

Awesome idea, will definetly try this!

Totallyscrappy said...

My kids would love this!!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I'll mix pretzels, Goldfish and Cheerios to take to kid gatherings as a snack. It's always a huge hit...and all it's just those things put together. Nothing special. Someimes it's all in the presentation.

I'll have to remember this for all our leftover snack-y things.